Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Crazy Eye

I have a special eye that we like to call "crazy". My sisters get a little grossed out and can't look. I think I thought it would maybe just magically go away, but it has gotten to the point where see double and unbeknowst to me I started tilting my head so that I didn't see double.

A few examples of my "crazy" eye.




I guess that I decided it was time to fix the problem when I saw my crazy eye in a few pictures. I finally went to a doctor right before Thanksgiving who said he could fix it by adjusting the muscles in both eyes to make my eyes aligned. He said my eyes would be really red and swollen for 7-10 days after surgery, and there is/was a 20-25% chance that a second surgery would be necessary.


After talking to Jason we decided that we should go ahead and schedule surgery for February. Excited and nervous as time got closer and closer, I went in for surgery on Wednesday February 2nd. I was in good hands and watched over by many people that I know in that work in the hospital. It's always good to see a friendly face when you go in for surgery. As I was waiting for my turn in the O.R. my Dad came to say hello. I love being able to see him in his workplace.


Surgery went well and Jason and I were sent home. I felt like I could barely open my eyes and kept them closed the whole ride home. My eyes were so heavy and I couldn't see all that well which made me feel dizzy. We got home and I went to my room and laid down, I kept a wet washcloth over my eyes which helped relieve the pressure/uncomfortableness I was feeling. Thanks to my mom the kids were occupied and she made us dinner. I wasn't counting on being so helpless. Yes I knew I was having surgery but I thought I would be able to function. I was very wrong....the next couple of days I needed help. Jason was able to take the kids to and from school, pick up prescriptions, and take care of me. I couldn't see to drive, and had a hard time cooking and cleaning and taking care of kids, let alone make sure I didn't hurt myself. Every day my sight got better and better, the double vision is less and less. I went for my week check up and everything looks great. We should know at my month check up if was a success or not...lets hope for the best! Kylie and Paige ask almost everyday if I am better and their whole reason for asking is because they want me to wear makeup. Yes I haven't worn makeup for almost 2 weeks and I feel a bit liberated. I don't feel that I have to wear makeup to make me beautiful...yes it helps but I should feel pretty even without it. Hopefully I can help my girls to understand that too!



I was going to take pictures of my eyes every day to track the progress but so far the only picture that was taken was the day after surgery.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Kari, I hope things continue to go well with the healing process!

emilydeardeuff said...

Good luck with healing! Sounds like it will be really nice to have fixed--you were beautiful even with it though!

David and Jana said...

Kari, I didn't even realize you had had surgery. I hope everything continues to go well.

Erin said...

Somehow I missed this post. Hope you are doing better!