Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Canning

The one thing that I always dreaded every fall...helping my mom with the pears and peaches. I have always loved eating the finished product (my mom used to remind me of the little red hen) but this year due to my grandpa being sick, have had the opportunity to help my mom and do the canning for her. I have been quite successful even watching 8 kids 6 and under. Someone in the family has had to stay with my grandpa round the clock so needless to say we have been watching lots of kids and helping out in lots of different ways. I have been lucky to work on the canning and so far the pears are looking great only 1 mishap and I am on to 3 more boxes either tomorrow or Friday and then its on to peaches.

6 comments:

Allie said...

yeah, I ran into your Brother in law tonight and he says that you are in town again. You better call ME!! I can watch you can fruit. Seriously.

pribyl said...

I'm looking forward to my canning lesson when you get home!:)

Robert and Kristen said...

I am going to help my Mom this weekend with pears and peaches. I've never done them before so she has to walk me through it. I love doing tomatoes though! I wish we could see you guys before you leave. We will probably be in Provo on Saturday to see Grandpa and go to the game!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with all of that. It takes a lot of time and work. My mom is always insistant as well. My husband loves the canned salsa she makes so I have to help if I want any cans. That is what my mom says anyhow.

Amy said...

Wow, I wish I knew how to can. I always feel like somehow my mormon heritage got the short end of the stick since I don't know the first thing about how to create from scratch my own food storage. Just think about the finished product the whole time and hopefully it will go by fast!

Cherice said...

Your going to have to give me lessons :) Hope you having fun. Miss you!