Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tanner vs Cactus

Guess who won? We went for a bike ride and we were on a dirt trail that goes along the golf course. Tanner went down a hill and slid and fell right between a cactus and a thorny bush. Poor kid but I guess it could have been worse, he managed to get one spine in his thumb and a few on the pockets of his shorts, and a few more on his flip flops. Both Jason and I tried to pull the spine or thorn out but it was in good, so Jason ended up pulling it out with his teeth.


After Jason got Tanner all taken care of (I was helping just taking care of the other 2 crying from heat and non movement!) But we had to get the cactus out of the bike wheel and while Jason was doing that he got a joint stuck in his arm. He pulled it out and his arm was all red and swelled. But luckily we made it home without any more incidents. I was so proud of Tanner he did so good and was such a tough kid! He got back on his bike and rode the rest of the way home flat tire and all.

I think we all learned our lesson about cactus.....stay far away!

5 comments:

Allie said...

Ahhh...poor guy. That just stinks! I'm glad everything turned out okay.

Mitch said...

tough kid... but flip flops on a bike ride in the desert?

The Headrick Family said...

What can I say that is all he wears in the summer. It's too hot for socks and shoes...and I have to admit I was wearing them too :-)

Amy said...

yikes! I remember throwing rocks at jumping cactus when I was about Tanner's age, and then the cactus jumped and hit my friend in the hand---she wasn't too thrilled. I think my dad pried the piece out with his car keys because that was all he had. Brave Tanner.

Laurie said...

More like, a bike ride in the summer in the dessert???
I soooo hear you about the flip flops. Socks and shoes are like torture in Arizona. Heck, I even wore flip flops in the Winter there.
Sorry about the catctus. I can't tell you how many times Ive walked into cactus! Tell Tanner we think he's so tough!